The fast-evolving software development industry has fueled the demand for customer-focused methodologies like Agile, DevOps, Continuous Delivery, and automated development. Even the project management metrics need to evolve accordingly over a period of time.
In this article at Damco Group, the author explains that quality is pivotal in modern product development processes. The project managers must use both subjective and objective metrics to track the product quality.
Need for KPIs
With modern value-based metrics, businesses can efficiently monitor all the key performance indicators (KPIs) and see if the software is delivering intended results and contributing to performance improvement. Here is a list of value-based metrics you should consider tracking for the effectiveness of your business:
- Team Velocity: Record the number of user story points delivered by your team in each sprint. Even though it won’t be used as a comparative parameter between teams, still, the team velocity will help managers ascertain the typical productivity of the team in each sprint.
- Individual Productivity: This KPI helps in measuring the productivity of each team member’s user story points for each developer per sprint. The goal is to assess the capabilities of each team member, not to evaluate employee’s performance but to improve productivity.
- Defect Density: This one captures the number of confirmed defects identified in software during a certain period of operation. Track these metrics to analyze and improve the actual performance of the application in production.
- Production Incidents: These metrics define the number of software crashed in comparison with the number of times it performed as planned. Using this metric, organizations can improve application performance.
- Defect Leakage: This is measured by taking the ratio of total defects identified in a defined phase divided by the number of defects identified during formal testing. This will help in improving development and testing effectiveness.
Click on the following link to read the original article: https://www.damcogroup.com/blogs/tracking-key-metrics-in-modern-software-development-for-effective-business-outcomes/